Thursday, July 27, 2017

Conditions For an Unfinished Work of Mourning: Beauty [as] An Appeal To Join the Majority of Those Who Are Dead

A bit unwieldy, but it might be the working title for this project. The phrases are drawn/reconfigured from a line in Ariella Azoulay's book referenced below, and from (I believe) Benjamin's essay, "On Some Motifs in Baudelaire."

Starting to look at the scans I got back the other day - of the cyanotype(d) material. Lots to sort though, both in terms of material and also making sense of the mess of reading I've been doing (all at once, without ever finishing any one thing before jumping over to something else - in a back and forth way) around the stuff behind and between all of this. Doing some thinking with a few Ariella Azoulay essays and one of her books, Death's Showcase: The Power of Image in Contemporary Democracy. I came to this book as she takes up Benjamin's Work of Art essay in particular, and some of this has led me to find some sources I hadn't come across before dealing with Benjamin's particularly complex use of the term "aura" - so many thoughts floating around out there about this. I've been finding the ideas in Miriam Bratu Hansen's essay, "Benjamin's Aura" quite useful, thus far.

So, I'm just/still looking. And made a quick video study as a means to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment