Thursday, February 19, 2015

An Emergent Representation

So, this is the part that precedes the passage about the “photo as an emergent, novel representation” that I quoted from Laruelle in the post I made before I made my way to Banff:
The ‘categorical’ content of photography, the a priori photographic content, serves in a certain way as an hypothesis (that must not be imagined, in empiricist manner, to be a simple fiction or supposition) of the experimental work carried out by the photographer who tries to adjust the techno-perceptual complex, with its image content, to that a priori but still undetermined imaging dimension.
- François Laruelle  
I’m tempted to just leave it at that for now, as it pretty much sums up how I’ve been approaching things while here in residence, thus far.  I’ve let myself run pretty wild in terms of what kinds of spaces and materials I’m paying attention to, and how – both visually and conceptually, I suppose.  Still, a common thread runs through (at least for me) – that of the land and/or components somehow reminiscent of earth and atmosphere.

I suspected I would come across new things to look at here, and after a trip to the hardware store I wound up with some decidedly random stuff, including different types of screen and a bit of cheesecloth.  Of course the moiré patterns became immediately evident – more on that later, I think.  I have to say though, I can’t help but wonder if I was subconsciously influenced by the cover image of The Concept ofNon-Photography sitting on my desk, a detail from Moiré 3, by Liz Deschenes.

Any rate, like I said, more on that later.  For now, a single video clip as well as a few first (lightly edited, and non-composited) images are below.



These words and scattered images are dedicated to Lisa Zaher, in honor of her father.





Click on image(s) below for larger view:























No comments:

Post a Comment